Thursday, July 25, 2013

Living and Learning with Our New Normal

a guest post by Sylvia Phillips

Sylvia Phillips

The first thing you should know about me is, I’m a follower of Jesus, but please don’t put me in the typical Christian box or confuse me with a homophobe or crazy abortion clinic bomber! I believe Jesus loves everyone and commands us to treat everyone with love, kindness and respect regardless of their race, religion, skin color, social class, abilities, disabilities, convictions, opinions, choices, lifestyle, sexual preference, or sexual identity!

I used to be a home birthing, baby wearing Mom way back when- beginning in 1976. I have been home schooling my 9 awesome children since 1984 and will be until 2019! I am also grandma to the sweetest, most beautiful grandson in the world! I recently completed my degree in Community and Human Services with a concentration in Disability Studies at age 52!

On my blog, Living and Learning With Our New Normal I write about my faith and family’s experiences living and homeschooling our children including our fourteen year old daughter, Bethany, who was multiply disabled after suffering numerous complications from surgery to remove a very large brain tumor from her very tiny cerebellum when she was just two years old. You can read more details about her harrowing experience at Bethany's Diagnosis.

One day I may be boring you with the everyday mundane details of life with my nine amazing and very interesting children and my beautiful little grandson.

Photo courtesy of Sylvia Phillips

Another day you may find me in a disillusioned rant, wondering just what in the world God was thinking when he allowed my daughter to suffer with life threatening illnesses and disabilities.

Yet another day you might find me praising and thanking God for small miracles like causing the sun to immediately burst forth from within the dark gray clouds of several days’ worth of pouring rain after Bethany prayed for the rain to go ‘way.

On the less personal side, I like to keep my readers informed and updated on news, events and other happenings related to homeschooling, disabilities, and special needs.

On my Resources page you will find helpful links to resources, products, and information pertaining to homeschooling, special needs, and disabilities.

I’ve also written and have a free eBook available for down load at Ten Ways to Support and Show God's Love to Families Experiencing a Child's Medical Crisis